Monday, July 11, 2011

Introductions are in order, wouldn't you say?

Looks like the perfect album cover, no?


My name is Blake and my wife Shari and I are closing on our farm on Wednesday, July 13th, moving in on Friday, July 15th.

Who we are.

I am a faculty librarian with the local university and my wife is a school counselor. We met, fell in love, and were married on June 7, 2008 (6.7.8). It's been our dream to start a small farm complete with chickens, fruit trees, veggies and a fishing pond. We plan on adding goats and possibly a cow to the mix and eventually, becoming organic certified. This is a hobby farm that may, if we are lucky, turn into more.

The Farm

A small, three bedroom, two bath, newly renovated farm house on 6.75 acres. There is a large garage where I plan to put together not only a workshop but also a gym and basic guy stuff. It's large enough to where I could even someday install a loft!

Why 'Smallville'?

Two simple reasons:
  1.  I am a comic book geek.
  2. We are in Kansas.
Our farm is located just south of Lawrence or what I shall refer to as Smallville. Smallville is a nice, quiet college town which also supports a healthy farming community. People there love their music, food and sports. It's pretty wholesome without being square.

So if there's a Smallville, is there a Metropolis? But of course! Just forty miles east of Lawrence sits the bustling city of Kansas City! Metropolis is where I ran the streets as a youth. My wife, though, grew up just outside of Kansas City in a town called Spring Hill, which we'll now call Midvale.

Now what?

My hope is to post our progress from day one, starting with our move-in. I would love for you to follow us but really, this is for me. And Shari. And perhaps any alien babies we find and raise while living on Smallville Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment